It is critical that we contact members of the House Government Committee today (6/12/12) to stop HB 2442, 2443, 2444, and 2446. In the coming week, we need to contact our legislators so that the bills do not continue in the process of becoming law. Many lawmakers are trying to limit the amount of multi-recipient email messages so you will need to send some of them individual messages. I am providing a sample letter and clickable contact names below.
Now is the time to be active!
Lisa Millhous, President of WCU APSCUF
- To see full list of Members to the House Government Committee and their districts: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/cteeInfo/cteeInfo.cfm?cde=36&body=H
- Steve Hicks letter to the Committee: http://www.apscuf.org/blog/?p=1873
- More on this dangerous 10-bill legislative package: http://www.reproae.com/NewsItem.aspx?NewsID=14227
- House Bill 2442: Deregulates student activity fees, no longer making them mandatory for any student to pay. Students can elect not to pay by signing a form at the start of each semester.
- House Bill 2443: Prohibits institutions from providing free or reduced tuition for spouses, children, same sex partners, or relatives of employees of the institution or any other.
- House Bill 2444: Prohibits the System from executing any contract for construction, repair, renovation and maintenance projects, unless the System submits a written request for an exception to the Department of General Services and the department determines, in writing, that an emergency exists and failure to execute a contract would be detrimental to the health or safety of students, employees, or the public.
- House Bill 2446: Prohibits paid sabbaticals for professors.
TO: Members of the House Government Committee (clickable links after message)
SUBJECT: Vote No on HB 2442, 2443, 2444, and 2446
Dear Members of the House Government Committee –
Each of these bills (HB 2442, 2443, 2444, and 2446) will independently harm the State-owned universities, whom you have been entrusted as a steward for the People of this Commonwealth. Together with the other bills of the so-called “keep tuition affordable” legislative package they jeopardize my ability as a faculty member to help my students achieve their full potential. Without funding and the ability to generate funding there is no way that we can maintain our quality.
These bills will have far-reaching ramifications and deserve thoughtful debate. Please take the time to be a good steward of our public resources and consider the destructive outcome that could occur as a result of these bills.
I urge you to vote NO for HB 2442, 2443, 2444, and 2446. These bills are not ready to leave committee.
Taxpayer in the Commonwealth of PA and Employee of West Chester University of PA
TO: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; Tkrieger@pahousegop.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org;
One response to “Contact the House Government Committee — and tell your Representative”
Also, even if your Rep isn’t a member of this committee, contact him/her anyway and ask that they apply any pressure they can to any committee members who are their friends. The pressure doesn’t have to come directly from us to count; in some cases, a colleague will be more persuasive than any of us would ever be.